Thursday, June 27, 2013

06/25 blog


After reading through these chapters I came across the section about the Haitian Revolution.  I wanted to start my blog discussing that section.  I did not realize that so many other counties were affected by slavery, honestly I only though it was the US because I have only learned about the slavery in the United States. I recently watched the movie Django and the movie is about slaves and one in particularly who becomes a bounty hunter.  The movie is actually pretty awesome and when I read the chapter I thought about the movie.  So the Haitians had the single most greatest and successful slave revolution in history.  That is some empowering information to know what slaves went through and the history they have, it is amazing to know that they did this.  To me I draw the comparison of a lion in a circus, the more the lion tamer or trainer pushes the animal the more the animal gets upset.  Well keep poking at a lion and I bet that lion is going to eat you.  The Haitian Revolution was great for slaves; it gave them a sense of pride.  It inspired other slaves to rebel and gave a “boost to the dawning abolitionist movement.”(Strayer, 510) I could imagine how good slaves felt when they heard of this happening and how afraid the slave owners became.  I am sure that with the news passing security became tight and slave owners drew worse.  Either way that is a big thumb up for slaves.
I feel most of us come from the middle class, working hard to get by and trying to stay unified as a family.  Back in the day in the 18th century to the early 19th century women from a middle class family were cast as homemakers, wives and mothers.  They created an emotional haven for their men and a refuge from a heartless and cutthroat capitalist world. (Strayer, 536) Women were also said to be the “moral center,” basically women were in charge of the house while the men worked and provided.  I believe it is important for a family to have this type of dynamic.  I grew up with mom taking care of us and dad was working all the time.  As we got older those things changed, but the concept remained and our family dynamic was great.  The poem “The Princess” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson was quite interesting and I don’t necessarily agree with all of it.  These days’ roles have changed and this way of thinking is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment